[geos-devel] PSC Vote: Host geos.osgeo.org on GH pages

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Mon Aug 23 10:18:48 PDT 2021

> On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 09:28:38AM -0700, Martin Davis wrote:
> > Under what GH account?  If it's hosted under a personal account there
> > is a bus factor issue.
>
> Is there any specific advantage in using GH rather than having it sitting
in one
> of the existing LXC containers with letsencrypt and NGIX setup ?
>
> Setting up a cron job or git hook to build & publish the site upon commit
to a
> git repository would be easy (under Gitea).

[Regina Obe]
I think GH has a mechanism for autogenerating sites triggered on commit or
using a GH action.  Maybe we should ask gdal.org how they publish theirs for
guidance unless Paul already knows.
So main benefit is less sysadmin intervention needed, and easier for GH
users to contribute.
If we wanted to we could always have a job to publish it on a hook or cron.
We already do that with postgis-workshops which is hosted on GitHub (not GH
pages though)

 [Regina Obe]
I still plan to setup a mirror on gitea for it, like we do for:

https://github.com/postgis/postgis-workshops (
https://git.osgeo.org/gitea/postgis/postgis-workshops )  of course that is
only like every day or so.
But still simpler than a full fledged hook.

Thanks,
Regina