[geos-devel] PSC Vote: Host geos.osgeo.org on GH pages

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Tue Aug 24 11:56:41 PDT 2021

> On Aug 24, 2021, at 11:22 AM, Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io> wrote:
>
>> One of the many advantages of the GDAL, PDAL, and PROJ documentation setup is we practically never have to mess with it. It just works. When it doesn't work, or when someone wants to make a documentation contribution, anyone can do so with a pull request and iterate until they succeed. No special access or special knowledge required.
>
> "It just works" is not true, GitHub breaks too.
> When it doesn't work, if it's GitHub we can only wait for them to fix
> it, if it's our machines, we can do something.

I will not volunteer to sleep next to the pager. GitHub has millions of customers which is good pressure for them to fix stuff pretty quick. Their downtime balanced against the true cost of maintaining all that ourselves is only close if you value your time at practically nothing.

When I mean "It just works," I mean the architecture and scaffolding based on GitHub Actions we've used for those projects works very well. We manage almost 3000 pages of docs using it with pretty much no ongoing support activity.

> About contribution: anyone could do pull requests and iterations on
> Gitea as well, access needed in both cases (in the Gitea case it would
> not be "special" as it would be the same one used to file tickets, in
> the github case it would be "extra" account).

Not really. https://id.osgeo.org/ldap/create is designed and managed to keep people out of the garden. Why can't OSGeo federate GitHub or other OpenID auth providers? Right now one must have that to start contributing, and a best case scenario at getting an id is probably a one day turn around. The impedance is purposely high to make it not worth waiting for an id response to provide the project my two line documentation spelling fix.

Whomever is doing the work, please steal the GDAL, PDAL, and PROJ setups if they can work for you. They've worked well for us.

Howard