[geos-devel] Backporting geosop?

Daniel Baston dbaston at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 11:55:28 PST 2021

I think a safer and lower-maintenance solution would be to write it in such
a way that it can link to multiple versions of GEOS, rather than developing
it in parallel across four branches.

If it is backported I think it is reasonable for the build warnings to be
cleared up first. It should probably be disabled by default in stable
branches to avoid introducing an unforeseen build problem. Also, the 3.6
branch uses C++98, so features such as lambdas and unique_ptr cannot be
used, unless the build system is configured to use C++11 for geosop and
C++98 for the remainder. Any changes to the build system should also work
with the minimum CMake version for those branches (3.0 for the 3.6 branch).

Dan