[geos-devel] RFC7: Discontinue use of autotools

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Fri Jan 8 22:46:55 PST 2021

On 1/8/21 11:10 PM, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> I think binary packagers would have the most informed opinion on the
> matter as they are the ones that build on multiple-platforms, usually.
> We poor developers mostly build for our single development machines,
> so I'd listen carefully to what people like Greg Troxel say.
Switching from autotools to cmake is generally a regression from a
packager point of view. Autotools is much better supported on Linux and
many architectures. And its features heavily used for hardening
buildflags, multiarch, etc. CMake requires more work to make such
features work, upstreams seldomly care about those where packagers do.

Ideally both remain supported, autotools for Linux and friends, and
CMake for Windows where autotools is too much of a pain to use.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1