[geos-devel] RFC7: Discontinue use of autotools

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Sat Jan 9 21:24:21 PST 2021

On 1/10/21 2:44 AM, Daniel Baston wrote:

>> Make the CMake build adhere to CMAKE_INSTALL_LIBDIR so that multiarch
>> keeps working,
>

> I created a pull request for this at
> https://github.com/libgeos/geos/pull/380
>
> Have CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=None define NDEBUG so that assert() is removed
>> from the code, thereby not storing the buildpath in the binaries helping
>> reproducible builds.
>>

> If you don't specify CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE it defaults to Release, and NDEBUG
> will be defined.

But then -g is not used and there will be no debug symbols.
RelWithDebInfo is more what we need.

> Do you mean that we should define a new build type called
> "None" ?

It is used to have the buildflags set in the environment determine
optimization etc.

CMake apparently uses the absolute path for __FILE__ whereas Autotools
uses the path relative to the Makefile. Hence we get
file-references-package-build-path issues after switching a package to
use the cmake buildsystem.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--