[geos-devel] OpenMP

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Tue Jul 27 13:18:29 PDT 2021

Interested in knowing what people's general reaction to OpenMP work is.

https://github.com/libgeos/geos/pull/468

Going from PoC to something committable will involve a reasonable amount of CMake twiddling to detect support on multiple platforms and get the right linking info and so on. It can be flipped off as necessary. The biggest implementation thing missing is some kind of run-time API to signal to OpenMP the maximum number of cores to commit, since we'll want to at least wave our hands at trying to avoid capping out server resources.

On the one hand it's kind of cool. On the other there's limited places to put it to work, and it adds complexity for certain.

P.