[geos-devel] Welcome to the "main" branch

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Sat Mar 13 00:11:16 PST 2021

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 09:16:38AM +0100, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> I went ahead and did it: a new "main" symbolic reference have been
> added to the official GEOS git repository to point at the _real_
> reference "master".

[...]

> See how you like it. Eventually turning "main" as the real thing
> and "master" as an alias could be the next step, if we want.

Next step taken: "main" is now the real thing and "master"
is an alias to it.

One step further: the "main" branch is now the default branch,
in the official repository.

> NOTE: I didn't check the effects of this on mirroring, but I guess
>       the mirrors will get 2 "real" branches, git being unable to
>       transfer "symbolic references" on the wire.

As anticipated, the mirrors did get 2 "real" branches,
and I think it's ok that way, until we all migrate to
the new naming and can drop "master".