[geos-devel] GEOS RFC 10 - Move Project to GitHub

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Tue Nov 2 18:06:42 PDT 2021

On Tue, Nov 02, 2021 at 01:58:45PM +0000, Nicklas Larsson wrote:
> I think it would be regrettable if also GEOS went all-in for GitHub. In my opinion -- apart from sharing a skeptical view with Sandro and Regina regarding move everything to The One Corp -- in particular the Issue system of GH is way inferior to trac tickets.
>
> MacPorts [1] has come up with a hybrid system, hooking up trac with GH, which I think works fine and may be considered as an alternative. This allows e.g. in-logging to trac with GH creds; allowing automatic closing of tickets on merging of connected PRs.
>
> Nicklas
>
> [1]  https://github.com/macports/trac.macports.org

Thanks for the suggestion Nicklas.
We also have an hybrod system, but we never enabled
the ability to log into Trac or Gitea with GitHub
credentials (technically possible) to reduce attack
surfaces.

Automatic closing of tickets is currently implemented
by Gitea parsing git commit logs ("Closes #xxx" with "xxx"
beign a trac ticket number).

Having pull requests automatically open tickets could
be useful but sounds complex (the script would need
to tell if a ticket already exists, to avoid duplication)