[geos-devel] GEOS RFC 10 - Move Project to GitHub

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Wed Nov 3 08:02:49 PDT 2021

> On Nov 2, 2021, at 5:56 PM, Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Nov 02, 2021 at 04:56:43PM -0700, Paul Ramsey wrote:

>>> That's why I care about Trac. I'd like to ONLY look in trac, you file
>>> your ticket and say in a comment WHERE your patch/PR is.
>>>
>>> This was the policy before issues on GitHub were enabled.
>>
>> Sorry, so what's your problem with GH-only that you're willing to light yourself on fire over then?
>
> I'm not willing to light myself on fire :)
>
> My problem with GH-only is the loss of history: we'll be browsing
> commits and finding links to still unexistent or completely unrelated
> issues, unless there's a plan to deal with that.

Well, I would like to have that too, but I'd like to move to GH and consolidate our web presence even more. I see no straightforward way to maintain the complex mix of interlinkages in the history, and I know that once we move those interlinkages will still be there for everything going forward. My compromise, which is in the RFC is scraping the tickets so that it's possible to completely shut down the trac instance while still retaining the historical ticket contents, if not the perfect interlinkage.

P.