[geos-devel] GEOS RFC 10 - Move Project to GitHub

Sandro Santilli strk at kbt.io
Tue Nov 2 17:56:43 PDT 2021

On Tue, Nov 02, 2021 at 04:56:43PM -0700, Paul Ramsey wrote:

> > On Nov 2, 2021, at 4:35 PM, Sandro Santilli <strk at kbt.io> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Nov 02, 2021 at 04:26:16PM -0700, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> >>
> >> Let's just say we'll take contributions whereever, like now, but
> >> honestly, we take what we see, so it's a little disingenuous to say
> >> "sure, we take contribs at all these 5 places!"). So I take GH and Trac
> >> and email. I don' t ever look at gitea or gitlab mirrors so they aren't a
> >> great place to put things if you want me personally to pick them up.
> >
> > That's why I care about Trac. I'd like to ONLY look in trac, you file
> > your ticket and say in a comment WHERE your patch/PR is.
> >
> > This was the policy before issues on GitHub were enabled.
>
> Sorry, so what's your problem with GH-only that you're willing to light yourself on fire over then?

I'm not willing to light myself on fire :)

My problem with GH-only is the loss of history: we'll be browsing
commits and finding links to still unexistent or completely unrelated
issues, unless there's a plan to deal with that.

Gitea is handling that correctly at the moment.

> I'd like (as the RFC notes) to have one place for things. All the things.

Gitea would satisfy these characteristics, right ?
Uhm... wrong (this mailing list is not there)

> I'd like that place to be the place where the developers are. All the developers.

This is a scary thought.

> This is my position, nothing complex, nothing fancy.

My vote will be -0 as I still belive in do-ocracy but please find
a solution to the problem of cross-referencing commits to tickets
as I think that has a value.