[geos-devel] 3.10.0beta2

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Mon Oct 11 16:29:23 PDT 2021

> On Oct 10, 2021, at 9:51 AM, Greg Troxel <gdt at lexort.com> wrote:
>

> I've been looking into the test failures.
>
> My build passes LDFLAGS of -R/usr/pkg/lib, because pkgsrc builds to a
> prefix that is not part of the default search path.  And, while geos
> does not depend on libraries from pkgsrc, in general packages depend on
> other packages and need to find their libs at runtime.
>
> The build of the tests programs use those LDFLAGS (which seems natural
> enough).  This results in a bunch of libs being DT_NEEDED:
>
>  $ objdump -x /tmp/work/geography/geos/work/geos-3.10.0beta3/bin/test_geos_unit
>  [snip]
>  Dynamic Section:
>    NEEDED               libgeos_c.so.1
>    NEEDED               libgeos.so.3.10.0
>    NEEDED               libpthread.so.1
>    NEEDED               libstdc++.so.9
>    NEEDED               libm.so.0
>    NEEDED               libgcc_s.so.1
>    NEEDED               libc.so.12
>    RPATH                /usr/pkg/lib
>  [snip]
>
> which is all straightforward for a program to be installed.
>

> I still have not found any mechanism that attempts to arrange for the
> not-installed library to be used for the test.
>
> maybe the tests should be static?

I feel like there is an answer somewhere out there that a NetBSD expert could find and teach us, and I'd rather not bend around the whole setup of things because of a fairly niche platform issue. People can still *use* GEOS pretty easily on NetBSD (build/install/forget). The only thing they cannot easily do is run tests, which is inconvenient to a very small population, which I understand includes you but I hope you'll be OK with us continuing down the release path nonetheless.