[geos-devel] 3.10.0beta2

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Sun Oct 10 09:51:08 PDT 2021

I've been looking into the test failures.

My build passes LDFLAGS of -R/usr/pkg/lib, because pkgsrc builds to a
prefix that is not part of the default search path.  And, while geos
does not depend on libraries from pkgsrc, in general packages depend on
other packages and need to find their libs at runtime.

The build of the tests programs use those LDFLAGS (which seems natural
enough).  This results in a bunch of libs being DT_NEEDED:

  $ objdump -x /tmp/work/geography/geos/work/geos-3.10.0beta3/bin/test_geos_unit
  [snip]
  Dynamic Section:
    NEEDED               libgeos_c.so.1
    NEEDED               libgeos.so.3.10.0
    NEEDED               libpthread.so.1
    NEEDED               libstdc++.so.9
    NEEDED               libm.so.0
    NEEDED               libgcc_s.so.1
    NEEDED               libc.so.12
    RPATH                /usr/pkg/lib
  [snip]

which is all straightforward for a program to be installed.

I still have not found any mechanism that attempts to arrange for the
not-installed library to be used for the test.

maybe the tests should be static?