[geos-devel] GEOS for 3/more-dimensional polyhedra

Muthu Vallinayagam muthu.vallin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 08:04:50 PDT 2022

Dear GEOS developers and users,

first, I thank developers for developing geos. I am using it, but
indirectly, via the Shapely package.

I am using Shapely for my project, which deals with 2-dimensional Polygons.
I need such a package

for 3-dimensional polyhedra and in later cases for 4-d, 5-d, etc., But
presently Shapely supports only

2-dimensional polygons since GEOS supports only 2-dimension.

*so I would like to request the developers about the addition of
a 3-dimension feature in GEOS.*

*I hope that it is to activate one more dimension in the C/C++ array and
change respective algorithms*

*in set operation definitions. *

*Also using calloc and malloc we can leave array dimensions to be filled
dynamically. for example, if Geos*

*is exported as a module in python **script, the first thing user can set
the array dimension as per the needs. *

*If they deal with polygons the dimension is set to be 2 **and for
polyhedra, it is 3.*

*My overall needs are Polygon, Multipolygons, Union, and the intersection
of multipolygons. So *

If I want to change the libs in GEOS what are the libs should I change
first?

is it enough, if I change only the dimension of the array and Set operation
definitions in GEOS library for further applications in higher dimensions?

Looking forward to your hearing

thank you

----

Best regards