[geos-devel] End of Life Policy (EOL)

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Wed Sep 14 10:47:45 PDT 2022

Martin Davis <mtnclimb at gmail.com> writes:

> Our development resource bandwidth, and also downstream pipeline size.
>
> I think we should have a policy of one minor release per year (if needed)
> And (try to) make them somewhat scheduled (which we already do informally,
> to align with PostGIS).

There's a big difference between

  Our current plans are to do X.   We plan not to do Y.

and

  We have a policy of releasing if Z.

As a maintainer of various things, I have found people who use Free
Software to act remarkably entitled as if they had a several-$K/year
support contract.  Thus I very much avoid anything that sounds like
commitment to do something.

To me, this policy is about saying that after 4 years, it's basically
out of the question to have an updated version.