[geos-devel] End of Life Policy (EOL)

Regina Obe lr at pcorp.us
Wed Sep 14 12:16:22 PDT 2022

> To me, this policy is about saying that after 4 years, it's basically out
of the
> question to have an updated version.

Yes that is my intent.

So

A) no one not willing to fork over money dares to ask us to backport a
change to what we consider "an ancient version"

B) As developers not have to think about which branches we have to backport
bug fixes.
Sure we have to think a little about "is this safe to backport to X", but if
we say as a general rule, things that have reached EOL, we never backport to
those and clearly spell out what we consider EOL.

C) Send a message to packagers that if you are packaging an end of life
version on a new distribution, you should think long and hard about that and
also what is the expected life of any version you deploy.  By packagers I'm
including DbaaS providers in this group.