[geos-devel] MacOS DYLD Fix

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Sat Nov 11 06:05:24 PST 2023

Paul Ramsey via geos-devel <geos-devel at lists.osgeo.org> writes:

> I’m on both sides of the argument now. The best/better practice might
> be to leave the install behaviour as-is and try to coerce PostGIS into
> ensuring the LD_RPATH on postgis.so, and other targets is set to the
> discovered locations of the dylib files in the ./configure.

I don't follow.

If a shared library A needs another shared library B to load, then it
needs to set RPATH (however that is spelled on systems that are
Different) for the path where B is.

When a program links with A, it needs to set RPATH to fine A.

I can see why /usr/local/lib no longer being in a default search path
would cause this to be noticed, but surely /opt/pkg/lib and /foo/bar/lib
were never there, so this seems like a bug fix.