[Geotiff] ModelPixelScaleTag

Grissom, Ed ed.grissom at intergraph.com
Fri Sep 3 06:25:56 PDT 2004

In a previous message, Pascal Peuch said:
> I think that a reader should not consider that a Geotiff file is
> georeferenced when only a list of tiepoints is provided [...]

Agreed, to a point.   I think that you are pointing out some of the pitfalls
that users or software developers might fall into, and I agree with all of
your comments on that.  However, the tie-point case is no less a valid
method of georeferencing than either of the other two.

Bottom Line, readers must support the list of tie points and, given only 3
points, an affine relationship pretty much has to be inferred.  Warnings
might be a good idea, but are not required by GeoTIFF.  With 4 or a small
number more points, the affine relationship should be the first assumption,
but it can easily be tested and if the relationship is not affine then the
app needs to handle that case (including warnings, or asking the user, or
saying it does not support non-affine or something).  For a really large
number of points, a mesh might be the best first assumption.

--
ed grissom
ed.grissom at intergraph.com