[Geotiff] ModelPixelScaleTag

Pascal Peuch peuchpascal at wanadoo.fr
Mon Sep 6 16:28:16 PDT 2004

Hello Ed,
You tend to make reading softwares as resilient as possible and I understand your point of view. Nonetheles, we have to access this issue with strict application of geotiff specification unless we have defined specific interchange conventions between a producer and a reader out of the scope of general purpose Geotiff specification.

The geotiff specification states that :
"However, tiepoints are only to be considered exact at the points specified; thus defining such a set of bounding tiepoints does not imply that the model space locations of the interior of the image may be exactly computed by a linear interpolation of these tiepoints."
and
"For orthorectification or mosaicking applications a large number of  tiepoints may be specified on a mesh over the raster image. However, the definition of associated grid interpolation methods is not in the scope of the current GeoTIFF spec."
When providing three tiepoints, even if exists an affine relation within these three tiepoints, the producer doesn't tell the user that the raster space and the model space are affine related. He only tells him the position of three points.

Knowing and exchanging the earth position of one or more points of the raster is one thing but knowing and exchanging the relation between a raster and the earth is another thing.

Geotiff provides three tags to define the relation between model space and raster space : tiepoints, pixelscale and Modeltransformation. With these three means and the set of constraints of Geotiff specification, you can define the three following types of images :

1/ relation between raster space and model space is a known and simple mathematic relation :

    1A this relation is X =ax+b, Y=a'y+b' (where x and y are raster coordinates and X,Y are model coordinates). In other words, the image is rectified, it has been resampled according to a projection system.

    1B this relation is X =ax+by+c, Y =a'x+b'y+c' and can't be reduced to 1A case.

2/ The relation is not known or is too complex to be defined with Géotiff means.

If you are a producer :

    The 1A/ case must be defined with One TiePoint and the pixelscale. (This is the normal case for corrected satellite images for example).
    The 1B/ case must be defined with Modeltransformationtag (the case is not recommended by the spec and in my opinion the case is not really usefull).
    In the 2/ case, you only can provide a certain number of TiePoints. (this is the case of an unrectified aerial photo or a scanned paper map without any geometric correction for example)

If you are a reader :
1/ If you find a tiepoint and a pixelscale, you know that the image is 1A type. If there is more than one tiepoint, you can check the consistency of the exceeding tiepoints and warn the user if not.
2/ if you find three tiepoints : you can check whether these 3 points are related by an affine relation. If they are you can make the assumption that the relation is this same affine relation as well for all the other points of the raster. But it is an ASSUMPTION. I understand that the users want their software to read every Géotiff file they can encounter but you just can't make such assumptions in any kinds of software (military applications for example) without asking the user at least.

See also the note in chapter "3.2.1. Unrectified Aerial photo, known tiepoints, in degrees."

Remark: Since we have not specified the ModelPixelScaleTag, clients reading this GeoTIFF file are not permitted to infer that there is a simple linear relationship between the raster data and the geographic model coordinate space. The only points that are know to be exact are the ones specified in the tiepoint tag.