[Geotiff] Removing Geotiff Headers

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Feb 28 14:22:49 PST 2006

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Thomas Riehle wrote:

> I have been working with remose sensing files for a little while, and am
> now working with Quickbird 16 bit geotiff images.  I want to remove the
> geotiff header information in order to read the images with mainstream
> image editors, rather than having to use ERDAS, ENVI, etc.  Does anyone
> have an idea of how to do this?  It would also be acceptable to convert
> from geotiff to another format (PNG, bmp, etc) preferabally without
> compression.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

My experiences so far with such files has been that normal TIFF
editors will emit warnings about tags they don't understand but
they'll read the TIFF portion of the file just fine.  They write out
the TIFF information without the geoTIFF tags.

In other words, they strip the geoTIFF tags out automatically.