[Geotiff] RE: [Gdal-dev] Dataset mismatch?

Ed McNierney ed at topozone.com
Fri Jan 27 06:40:47 PST 2006

Jarrett -

I looked at both of your coordinates on TopoZone, and - assuming that
I'm identifying the "tiny rock spire" correctly, neither one of those
coordinates seems to be correct.

Assuming the coordinates you list below are NAD83, here is the "topo
map" location:

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=13&e=394704&n=4334970&datum=NAD83&u=4

And here is the "elevation spike" location:

http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=13&e=394571&n=4335039&datum=NAD83&u=4

Using the USGS NED data, I find a local elevation maximum of 11,999.8
feet at UTM 13 394644E 4335185N (NAD83), which corresponds quite well
with the location of the little "ring" on the topo map you can see in
both the links above.

Perhaps if you could give us the data you're using and walk through the
process showing intermediate results we can help diagnose the
problem(s).

	- Ed

Ed McNierney
President and Chief Mapmaker