[Geotiff] cylindrical equal-area not supported by GeoTIFF?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Mar 9 14:00:18 PST 2007

John Maurer wrote:
> Dear GeoTIFF list,
> I'm getting the following error when trying to create a GeoTIFF using
> geotifcp for data in a cylindrical equal-area projection:
>
>  > geotifcp -g Ml_geo.txt EASE-F13-ML2006166D.19V.tif
> EASE-F13-ML2006166D.19V.geo.tif
> Parsing Error at 'CT_CylindricalEqualArea'
> Failure in GTIFImport
> Exit 255
>
> I have gathered in previous message and online documentation that
> cylindrical equal-area projections aren't supported yet in
> GeoTIFF/libgeotiff: is this true?, and if so, are there things in the
> works to have this added? Thanks for your help! At the bottom of this
> message, I've pasted my GeoTIFF header from the above command
> (Ml_geo.txt) for reference.

John,

Skimming the code I see support for cylindrical equal area.  I do notice this:

geotiff_proj4.c:

  * Revision 1.22  2005/03/04 04:32:37  fwarmerdam
  * added cylindricalequalarea support

So it appears I added support for it in the proj.4 translation fairly recently
so you might want to make sure you have the most recent libgeotiff release.
That would appear to be libgeotiff 1.2.3 issued in March 2006.

Best regards,