[Geotiff] cylindrical equal-area not supported by GeoTIFF?

John Maurer maurerj at nsidc.org
Fri Mar 9 12:18:40 PST 2007

Dear GeoTIFF list,
I'm getting the following error when trying to create a GeoTIFF using
geotifcp for data in a cylindrical equal-area projection:

 > geotifcp -g Ml_geo.txt EASE-F13-ML2006166D.19V.tif
EASE-F13-ML2006166D.19V.geo.tif
Parsing Error at 'CT_CylindricalEqualArea'
Failure in GTIFImport
Exit 255

I have gathered in previous message and online documentation that
cylindrical equal-area projections aren't supported yet in
GeoTIFF/libgeotiff: is this true?, and if so, are there things in the
works to have this added? Thanks for your help! At the bottom of this
message, I've pasted my GeoTIFF header from the above command
(Ml_geo.txt) for reference.
Best Regards,
John Maurer

--
John Maurer
Web/Database Applications Engineer

Geotiff_Information:
   Version: 1
   Key_Revision: 1.0
   Tagged_Information:
      ModelTiepointTag (2,3):
              0             0          0
      -17334193.540    7344784.825     0
      ModelPixelScaleTag (1,3):
          25067.525      25067.525     0
      End_Of_Tags.
   Keyed_Information:
      GTModelTypeGeoKey (Short,1): ModelTypeProjected
      GTRasterTypeGeoKey (Short,1): RasterPixelIsArea
      GeographicTypeGeoKey (Short,1): User-Defined
      GeogGeodeticDatumGeoKey (Short,1): User-Defined
      GeogLinearUnitsGeoKey (Short,1): Linear_Meter
      GeogAngularUnitsGeoKey (Short,1): Angular_Degree
      GeogSemiMajorAxisGeoKey (Double,1): 6371228.0
      GeogSemiMinorAxisGeoKey (Double,1): 6371228.0
      ProjectedCSTypeGeoKey (Short,1): User-Defined
      ProjCoordTransGeoKey (Short,1): CT_CylindricalEqualArea
      ProjLinearUnitsGeoKey (Short,1): Linear_Meter
      ProjFalseEastingGeoKey (Double,1): 0
      ProjFalseNorthingGeoKey (Double,1): 0
      ProjNatOriginLongGeoKey (Double,1): 0.0
      ProjStdParallel1GeoKey (Double,1): 30.0