[Geotiff] GeoTIFF - unsupported PCS

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Jul 14 09:12:25 PDT 2008

Oxenstierna Andreas wrote:
> Frank,
>
> Several new coordinate systems has been defined in Northern and Eastern
> Europe the last 15 years, due to both political and technical reasons.
> Both the official Swedish and Estonian coordinate reference systems are
> not supported by GeoTIFF but has been defined by EPSG since several
> years. They are both defined using completely new geodetic measurements.
> Is there any mechanism to make official updates to GeoTIFF? Or should we
> (as a consultant company) just go ahead and recompile libgeotiff on our
> own as needed?

Andreas,

I'm aware the EPSG database has evolved substantially in the last 15 years.

You can always add stuff to your .inc files and recompile if you wish.
But my position is that we should ignore the .inc files for new definitions.
That, is we should treat the .inc files as historical and not attempt to
use those pre-defines for PCS codes and other similar objects.  Instead just
use the code numbers as defined by EPSG.

I would add there is no proper process to revise the GeoTIFF specification
since there is no responsible organization.  However, we do try to establish
best practice on this mailing list by consensus.

Best regards,