[Geotiff] Converting BMP+LatLon to GeoTiff

Pete Flugstad pete.flugstad at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 14:16:40 PDT 2010

I have a several hundred bmp files with associated .wif files, which
contain the Lat/Lon
information for the BMP.  These .wif files are form:

    token World_Information
       Corner1     : -90.0 -180.0 0.0
       Corner2     : -45.0 -180.0 0.0
       Corner3     : -45.0 -135.0 0.0
       Corner4     : -90.0 -135.0 0.0
       Transparent :  0  0  0  255
       Name        : "World"
    end

I can't seem to find much info this format anywhere.

I've tried to use gdal_translate -a_ullr to turn these bmp's into
geotiffs, but I'm thinking
that that isn't doing what I expect.   My map program (openmap) won't
load them, and
when I run listgeo on them I don't see any tie points.

I'm still learning my way around things - can anyone point out the
likely very obvious
thing I'm messing up?  I'd like to avoid having to manually georectify
all of them.

Thanks,
Pete