[Geotiff] GeoTIFFs in ArcGIS 10

April Davis April.Davis at swfwmd.state.fl.us
Thu Apr 7 11:20:21 PDT 2011

All,

We have recently upgraded to Esri ArcGIS 10, and have started pulling in  4 band (red,green,blue,IR) GeoTIFFs.  We began to see areas of "no data".  When looking at the image in other software platforms, we do not see the areas of "no data".  All the pixels have a value.  We sent an image to Esri technical support and they replied by stating "The tiff has a mask tag that ArcGIS didn't use in the past.  At ArcGIS 10.0 we read and apply this tag.  In this case, the tag specifies band 4 to be a nodata mask - any place where band 4 has the value 0 will show as nodata.  This is a setting on the tiff file and not in ArcGIS.  ArcGIS just started to honor this tag."

Does anyone know what tag Esri may be referring to?  If I could figure out what the tag is or what exactly it specified, then I could remove the tag or change it.  But I am at a loss as to what to look for.

Any help would be appreciated.

April H. Davis, GISP
GIS Analyst III
Southwest Florida Water Management District
Mapping and GIS Section
2379 Broad Street
Brooksville, FL 34604
(v): 352-796-7211 x 4216
(f): 352-540-6018
www.watermatters.org

IMPORTANT NOTICE:  All E-mail sent to or from this address are public record and archived.  The Southwest Florida Water Management District does not allow use of District equipment and E-mail facilities for non-District business purposes.