[Geotiff] Conversion from lat/long to PCS to raster

Cassanova, Bill BCassanova at weather.com
Fri Jan 21 05:29:16 PST 2011

If the image you have already contains the geotiff tags it is much easier to use gdal directly.  If the image does not yet contain the geotiff tags you can add them using gdal_translate and then use gdal directly.

Below is an example of reading a geotiff image and extracting the lat-lon.

General instructions:
GDALDatasetH my_data_set = GDALOpen(path.c_str(), GA_ReadOnly);.

OGRSpatialReferenceH my_spatial_reference = OSRNewSpatialReference(NULL);

OSRSetWellKnownGeogCS(my_spatial_reference, "WGS84");

char *pszDstWKT = NULL;

OSRExportToWkt(my_spatial_reference, &pszDstWKT);

OSRDestroySpatialReference(my_spatial_reference);

void *my_transformer = GDALCreateGenImgProjTransformer(my_data_set,
                                                          NULL,
                                                          NULL,
                                                          pszDstWKT,
                                                          FALSE, 0.0, 0);
float original_lat = some_lat_value;
float original_lon = some_lon_value;

float lat = original_lat;
float lon = original_lon;

int result =  GDALGenImgProjTransform(my_transformer, TRUE, 1, &lon, &lat,
                              NULL, &panSuccess);

If( result == 1 )
{
  Std::cout << original_lon << " is " << lon << " in pixel space" << std::endl;
  Std::cout << original_lat << " is " << lat << " in pixel space" << std::endl;
}

Hope this helps,
Bill