[Geotiff] listgeo/geotifcp and gdal

Conrad Bielski conrad_bielski at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 1 13:55:41 PST 2011

Hello geotiff list!

Today I created my first BifTIFF (6.7 Gb) using gdal (1.8) and I needed to use listgeo for some projection injection which I have done with regular size tiff files in the past. The problem is that when I run listgeo on the BigTIFF, I get an error that states libtiff does not support BigTIFF.

Here is some background to this problem. I'm running CentOS 5.4 which obviously has it's own libtif libraries in the system specified areas required to run many system programs but I build gdal with libtiff and geotiff = internal and keep those libraries in a local directory because I want to have access to the latest and greatest for my geoprocessing.

What I would like to know is how can I install the listgeo/geotifcp tools so that they link to the local gdal tiff libraries (which I know are BigTIFF ready)?

Today, I tried installing geotiff from sources after having installed gdal with the interal tiff libraries. Using the configuration script I passed the local lib and include directories of the gdal install. When it finished, I ran ldd listgeo and geotiff points to the correct local library but tiff points to the system tiff library files in /usr/lib64.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks and have a great day,
Conrad :)