[Geotiff] listgeo/geotifcp and gdal

David Burken dburken at comcast.net
Tue Mar 1 15:42:49 PST 2011

Conrad,

Here's what I do.  I build my own libtiff, libgeotiff and gdal from
svn.  I install each to a local sandbox.  Then set the sandbox bin in my
PATH and lib in my LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  A wise friend of mine (thanks
Scott) taught me a long time ago to make a config script for each
library for the configure line and run it.  So I do:

// Build libtiff:
cd libtiff
./mylibtiffconfig.sh
make
make install

// Build geotiff:
cd libgeotiff
./mylibgeotiffconfig.sh
make
make install

// Build gdal
cd gdal
./mygdalconfig.sh
make
make install

In you bash dot files add your install bin to your PATH.  If you go to
/usr/local you may not need.
In you bash dot files add your install lib to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$.
If you go to /usr/local you may not need.

Snip from .bashrc (or wherever):
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/work/osgeo/local/lib
PATH=/work/osgeo/local/bin:${PATH}
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH PATH

// Contents of mylibtiffconfig.sh
#!/bin/sh
# File: mylibtiffconfig.sh
prefix=/work/osgeo/local
./configure --prefix=${prefix}

// Contents of mylibgeotiffconfig.sh
#!/bin/sh
# File: mylibgeotiffconfig.sh
prefix=/work/osgeo/local
./configure --prefix=${prefix} --with-proj=/work/osgeo/local
--with-libtiff=/work/osgeo/local

// Contents of mygdalconfig.sh
#!/bin/sh
# File: mygdalconfig.sh
prefix=/work/osgeo/local
./configure --prefix=${prefix} --with-libtiff=/work/osgeo/local
--with-geotiff=/work/osgeo/local

Obviously your config scripts could have man other options.  Like here
is my real gdal config:
#!/bin/sh
# File: mygdalconfig.sh
prefix=/work/osgeo/local
./configure --prefix=${prefix} --with-kakadu=/work/drb/kakadu/latest
--with-hdf4=/work/osgeo/local --with-hdf5=/work/osgeo/local
--with-libtiff=/work/osgeo/local --with-geotiff=/work/osgeo/local
--with-mrsid=/work/drb/mrsid/Geo_DSDK-7.0.0.2167

Hope that helps,
Dave