[Geotiff] Next libgeotiff release ?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Mar 11 06:21:49 PDT 2019

Hi,

Now that PROJ 6.0 has been released, we could release libgeotiff master that
removes the CSV dependency for the EPSG database and requires PROJ 6.0.

While being mostly compatible with previous versions, there are a few
'technical' symbols that have been removed:
- cpl_serv.h: all CSV related symbols, but I guess those were only used
internally by libgeotiff
- geo_normalize.h: GTIFDeaccessCSV and SetCSVFilenameHook. Those ones affect
external users.

I thought for now about numbering this next libgeotiff version 1.5.0, but we
might also call it 2.0. Thoughts ?

Another thing I should mention is that within OGC, a geotiff 1.1 specification
is in the works. Nothing spectacular to expect from that revision of the
original 1995 spec - that's a feature -, but a few updates/fixes there & there
(most notable changes are related to the vertical dimension).
Current state of the work can be seen at:
https://github.com/opengeospatial/geotiff/blob/master/geotiff_standard.pdf

Once adopted, libgeotiff should/could be updated to take into account the
changes/additions (changes will be needed in GDAL as well). I don't think we
should wait for those changes to be implemented to release the next libgeotiff
version (there's no funding for that work currently)

Even

http://www.spatialys.com