[Geotiff] Next libgeotiff release ?

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Mon Mar 11 07:58:12 PDT 2019

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 8:22 AM Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Now that PROJ 6.0 has been released, we could release libgeotiff master
> that
> removes the CSV dependency for the EPSG database and requires PROJ 6.0.
>
> While being mostly compatible with previous versions, there are a few
> 'technical' symbols that have been removed:
> - cpl_serv.h: all CSV related symbols, but I guess those were only used
> internally by libgeotiff
> - geo_normalize.h: GTIFDeaccessCSV and SetCSVFilenameHook. Those ones
> affect
> external users.
>
> I thought for now about numbering this next libgeotiff version 1.5.0, but
> we
> might also call it 2.0. Thoughts ?

> Another thing I should mention is that within OGC, a geotiff 1.1
> specification
> is in the works. Nothing spectacular to expect from that revision of the
> original 1995 spec - that's a feature -, but a few updates/fixes there &
> there
> (most notable changes are related to the vertical dimension).
> Current state of the work can be seen at:
> https://github.com/opengeospatial/geotiff/blob/master/geotiff_standard.pdf
>
> Once adopted, libgeotiff should/could be updated to take into account the
> changes/additions (changes will be needed in GDAL as well). I don't think
> we
> should wait for those changes to be implemented to release the next
> libgeotiff
> version (there's no funding for that work currently)

I too think we should call it 1.5.0 and issue a 2.0 once and if any changes
roll out of the OGC efforts. Specifically, I think that your proposal for
formalization of a WKT key is something we would find very useful in lidar
land. https://github.com/opengeospatial/geotiff/issues/56

Did GTIFDeaccessCSV and SetCSVFilenameHook get removed or no-op'd? I
suppose I'd vote for the latter. Removing them is going to sprinkle
#defines in code for not much gain, right?

Howard