[geotk] Begining release cycles

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.fr
Mon Jun 1 17:56:11 EDT 2009

Hello all

We plan to release a milestone every month. Today geotoolkit 3.00 has been
deployed on the maven repository (http://maven.geotoolkit.org/) and is hopefully
ready for use. The source, javadoc and the pack200 binary are ready on my local
machine and will be put on a server tomorrow - probably on
http://download.geotoolkit.org/ (to be setup).

To the best of my knowledge, the public non-deprecated API does not have any
"should not be there" feature (e.g. proof of concept, or facade without actual
implementation yet).

Note on the version number: "1.x" refers to the "pre-geotools" age (Fishery and
Oceans Canada, Seagis...). "2.x" refers to the "geotools 2" age and "3.x" refers
to what we are trying to do now. The intend is to keep a trace of the historical
root. Despite the relatively high number, I see "3.00" more like a milestone
than a "rock-solid" release.

Any change in the public API of the 3.00 release will be handled by the usual
"deprecate, then delete" cycle. For every release, a list of API changes
compared with the previous release will be published (there is tools that we
plan to experiment).

This release contains essentially the referencing module and the core of the
coverage module. For more elaborated functionalities like the renderer, please
refer to the "geotoolkit-pending" repository which has its own release cycle.
Johan Sorel can tell more about what is in the pending repository.

JIRA is available for both "geotoolkit" and "geotoolkit-pending" (click on the
"all projects" tab for geotoolkit-pending):

     http://jira.geotoolkit.org/browse/GEOTK

Anyone is very welcome to try as they wish

	Best regards,