[geotk] Can I prevent Geotoolkit from spawning new threads?

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.fr
Tue Oct 13 18:24:48 EDT 2009

Hello Jon

There is currently no way to prevent Geotk to create new threads. The shutdown
hooks are not the only ones created; there is also various cleaner threads which
are running as daemon threads, for example for removing entries from WeakHashMap
as they are garbage collected.

It would be doable - while a bit unsafe - to disable the creation of shutdown
hooks. But it would be more difficult to avoid the creation of other threads.
However the issue may not be there. I'm not familiar with GAE, but I would be
surprised if they disallow completly the creation of any Threads (if they really
do so, then they probably explain their raisons somewhere and I would be curious
to read them). Maybe they just set stricter constraints. The Thread constructor
javadoc said:

     If group is null and there is a security manager, the group is
     determined by the security manager's getThreadGroup method.
     (...snip...) If there is a security manager, its checkAccess
     method is called with the ThreadGroup as its argument.

So I think that the issue is that Geotk uses ThreadGroup. I could remove every
usage of ThreadGroup - this change would be much easier and hurtless to apply
than removing Threads. But before doing so I would be curious to see if GAE
publishes any policy about ThreadGroup which would explain what we are supposed
to do.

	Martin