[geotk] Can I prevent Geotoolkit from spawning new threads?

Jon Blower j.d.blower at reading.ac.uk
Wed Oct 14 02:14:16 EDT 2009

Hi Martin,

GAE disables the creation of any threads.  I haven't found an
explanation but I assume it's so that they can do load-balancing
effectively.  Perhaps it ensures that new threads are only created in
response to HTTP requests, meaning that they can be distributed
between machines.  I'm not sure.

See http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/java/runtime.html#The_Sandbox.

In my application, I'm basically using Gtk only for handling
coordinate reference systems.  If there was a way to instantiate a CRS
(e.g. from WKT) without spawning a background thread, this would
probably solve the problem for me.  Currently both CRS.decode() and
CRS.parseWKT() use a Factory, which seems to spawn a thread.

I can imagine that this is buried quite deep in the code, but it would
seem to be possible to create a CRS from WKT without a cleanup thread.
 Is there a way to access the "lower-level" methods that do this?

Cheers, Jon

--
Dr Jon Blower
Technical Director, Reading e-Science Centre
j.d.blower at reading.ac.uk
http://www.nerc-essc.ac.uk/People/Staff/Blower_J.htm