[geotk] "Custom" location local projection

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.fr
Wed Sep 16 04:18:31 EDT 2009

Hello Sam

As you guessed, the most tricky part is likely to be axis orientation. I don't
think you will need to bother about the kind of Stereographic projection. When
asking for a "Stereographic" projection, Geotk will select automatically one of
the "Oblique", "Equatorial" and "Polar" flavor, but actually the "Equatorial"
and "Polar" cases are simplifications of the "Oblique" case in the special case
where some internal coefficients are set to 0 or 1 because of the latitude at 0
or 90°. Consequently the transition from the "Polar" to the "Oblique" case when
you move from 90° to 89.999° should be continuous (I think so; I have not verified).

However the axis directions may need more verifications. In the "Oblique" case,
you should get the classical (East,North) directions (assuming you are using the
DefaultCartesianCS.PROJECTED constant or something equivalent). In the South
Pole case, I would expect the axis directions (North along the 90° meridian,
North along the 0° meridian) to be continuous with the (East, North) case, but
some trial may be needed in order to verify the actual behavior. If you spot an
anomaly, I would be very interrested in a small test case reproducing the
problem so I could fix it.

Is the above coherent with your question?

		Martin