[geotk] GeoToolkit GeoTIFF support

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.fr
Wed Feb 17 09:23:33 EST 2010

Hello Udo

Le 17/02/10 12:52, Udo Einspanier a écrit :
> I tried to use the GeoTIFF (+ pending coverage-io) module to read images. It seems that it does not work for user-defined projections at the moment - the corresponding code in GeoTiffMetadata2CRSAdapter is commented out and the method createUserDefinedPCS returns always null. Are you going to suppoted that in future versions, and if so do you know when it will be available?

I just uncommented the createUserDefinedPCS method. The updated JAR files will
be available on the Maven repository (using the SNAPSHOT version number) in the
next 24 hours.

However this code has not been tested yet. I have planned to port this code to
"geotoolkit core" and revisit it in this process after I have completed the
tasks listed below. My schedule (subject to changes) is:

  1) Finish the port of the "postgrid" database (this work is ungoing).
  2) Improve the NetcdfImageReader / implement a NetcdfImageWriter.
  3) Port the Postgis reader and writer, using the new Image I/O
     metadata framework developped on geotk.

I prefer to not give date since it depends a lot how fast I complete the
previous tasks. However peoples can follow the progress here:

     http://jira.geotoolkit.org/browse/GEOTK-51

> To get around this, I was also trying to use geotools API for GeoTIFF handling. But I have to integrate it in an application that already uses GeoToolkit, and having both libraries together on the classpath always causes exceptions due to incompatible versions of geoapi (AbstractMethodError...). As geoapi is bundled with the GeoToolkit jar, I don't really know how to get a matching geotools version.
> Do you have any advice?

Maybe the best fix would be to ask to GeoTools developers if they are wiling to
upgrate their GeoAPI dependency. I suspect that they prefer not until they get a
feeling that GeoAPI is stable enough. On the bright side it may be soon. The
GeoAPI Standard Working Group (SWG) voted "yes" to the release of GeoAPI 3.0 as
an official OGC standard just 2 weeks ago. This is not yet an official OGC
standard because all the steps are not yet completed: after the SWG positive
vote, we need to get a vote from the OGC Technical Commitee (TC). But I have
some hope to get this vote at the Frascati (Italy) meeting next month. If
approved, I hope that GeoAPI would have meet the stability criterion required
for other projects. I will keep this list informed on any progress.

	Regards,