[geotk] painting radar range lines

Thys Meintjes sthysel at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 05:35:46 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I need some general guidance on best practices and technical matters. I'm
very new to GIS in general so please pardon my  ignorance.

I want to paint a set of radar range rings centered on a position. A radar
sector scan is pained on top of the range rings and is continually updated
as the radar scans, like a rotating pie slice - I'm sure you've seen this
before...
Targets are painted as the scan sector passes over them and then fades
out... Like a normal radar would.

I would like to do this on top of a JMap2D within the geotk/puzzle-gis
framework (The application will be Netbeans platform based) to get all the
benefits of a real GIS framework.

My experiments up till now has many of these in place on a home-brew canvas
where I do my own painting. I guess I can re-state the question
as how do I integrate my own custom painting with JMap2D without running
into performance and threading issues ? And what of the GeoAPI's "features"
data types can be used to represent the targets as GIS objects ?

Thanks and regards.

--
Thys Meintjes