[geotk] Explicit TIFF plugin register

Thys Meintjes sthysel at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 02:48:28 EDT 2011

Hi  All,

I'm writing a Netbeans RCP based app and had a bad time loading GeoTIFF's.
After trolling through the mailing list, especially
this thread:
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/geotoolkit/2011-January/000466.html, I
fixed the problem by explicitly registering
the TIFF readers as follows:

   private void explicitRegisterTIFF() {
        ImageIO.scanForPlugins();
        IIORegistry.getDefaultInstance().registerServiceProvider(new
com.sun.media.imageioimpl.plugins.tiff.TIFFImageReaderSpi(),
ImageReaderSpi.class);
        IIORegistry.getDefaultInstance().registerServiceProvider(new
GeoTiffImageReader.Spi("TIFF"), ImageReaderSpi.class);
    }

While this works I'm concerned that it point to a deeper problem within the
app. I would like the service discovery mechanism to work
as intended. Especially if I ever needed any other readers to work "out of
the box".

Any thought on this ?

thanks and regards

--