[geotk] Exploring the possibility to join Apache SIS project

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.fr
Fri Jul 20 07:43:01 PDT 2012

Hello again

There is one other initiative which I think must be mentioned. The
Eclipse foundation is launching LocationTech
(http://wiki.eclipse.org/LocationTech), which is expected to work
closely with OSGeo. In my understanding, the LocationTech goals would be
similar to the OSGeo goals, but inside a much bigger community with
major players. Actually this is the launch of this initiative which
trigged us to choose a community. So if Geotk is to join a community,
there is 2 possibilities we are exploring at this time:

    * Eclipse LocationTech
    * Apache SIS

GeoTools and UDig among others are likely to join LocationTech, so the
question of overlapping technologies would be raised. I have been told
that this is not necessarily an issue since competing technologies exist
inside the Eclipse foundation, and may be considered as incitations for
innovations. Maybe it would also be incitations for a partial
Geotk/GeoTools merging, but I don't know if such merging would be
profitable given the slightly different (I think) goals, and the risk to
makes more difficult the exploration of alternative implementations.

On the other side, I think that Apache doesn't have much links with OGC
or OSGeo yet. This could be an opportunity to make Geotk more distinct
from GeoTools (both in license and community), which - hopefully - may
be profitable to the open source ecosystem by increasing the spectrum of
alternative implementations. Closer OGC/ISO compliance could be a
contribution brought by Geotk to Apache. Collaboration with OSGeo would
hopefully continue through projects like GeoAPI (if we can convince
GeoTools to consider it), or OSGeo MetaCRS project.

Any though?