[geotk] Issue with JAXPFeatureTypeReader

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.com
Fri Jun 26 04:05:33 PDT 2015

Hello Emmanuel

Right, we modified the numbering scheme in the pom.xml for closer
conformance to the most usual practice. Also "geotk-metadata" moved to
Apache "sis-metadata". The later has been released 5 months ago as SIS
0.5, which is a stable release. The SIS 0.6 stable release is targeted
for next month, but should have no significant change on the metadata
side. The goal for the Apache SIS project is to be very stable.

There is still a few things in the former "geotk-metadata" which are not
yet migrated to SIS, mostly some pre-defined constants and a database
backend. Since the former "geotk-metadata" module became close to empty
after the port to Apache SIS, it has been merged with "geotk-utility".
So a dependency to "geotk-utility" should give you (through transitive
dependencies) "sis-metadata" plus the few additional things not yet
migrated to SIS. But I would recommend to depend only on Apache SIS if
you do not need the additional Geotk classes.

The "geotk-referencing" module would probably be merged to
"geotk-utility" in the same way when it will become close to empty after
the port to SIS (which is in progress).

For the exception that you reported, the stack trace suggests an issue
with the classpath. It gives the impression that the SAX implementation
may not be the same as it was used to be. They were a recent change in
the dependencies declared in the pom.xml of "geotk-jaxp-core" module,
where the "cxf-core" dependency has been replaced by
"cxf-common-utilities" since we though that the module didn't need the
weight of the full "cxf-core". I don't know if this is related, but
maybe it is worth to test if re-introducing the "cfx-core" dependency in
your project make a difference?

https://github.com/Geomatys/geotoolkit/commit/5dac4e5238fe8e81b3bf7d83068e6a08b457393d

About the stable release, we are close to finish Well Known Text (WKT 2)
implementation in Apache SIS. I'm doing some tests and consolidation,
then we will propose an Apache SIS 0.6 release in the next few weeks. A
Geotk milestone would follow. I don't think that it would be "Geotk 4.0"
yet (it would be "Geotk 4.0-M4"), since I think that we need to complete
at least the port of "geotk-referencing" to SIS in order to provide a
more consistent picture.

Please let us know if the above help or if there is other things to
consider.

    Martin