running grass remotely

Michael Shapiro shapiro at zorro.cecer.army.mil
Fri Apr 3 07:55:45 EST 1992

    >   I bring up grass.
    >   It says:
    >   LOCATION: spearfish
    >   MAPSET: gary    (this is the user name for orion)
    >   DATABASE: ../grass.data
    >
    >   Then upon entering grass it says:
    >   Sorry no access to <<gary>>
    >   Mapsets in location <spearfish>
    >    PERMANENT   gary   root
    >  note: you do not have access to any of these mapsets.
    >
    >  I checked these mapsets and all of the permissions are turned on.
    >  Any ideas?  Thanks.

Mapset permissions are by owner not unix drwxrwxrwx permissions. It
sounds as if the user ids on the two machines either do not match in
the passwd files (are you running yp?) or the mapsets really are not
owned by the user requesting their usage.

Also the ../grass.data for the DATABASE look funny. It should never be
a relative path. I assume you put ../grass.data just to shorten the
name. It should always start with a /.

Michael