V.digit out of memory on 386i

Hal Mueller hmueller at orca.tamu.edu
Wed Apr 15 13:25:36 EDT 1992

I've seen memory allocation failures intermittently on a 386i that
some of our people use for digitizing.  I don't understand them.
It's frustrating as all get out.  I have noticed, though, that the
problems are less frequent if no other programs are running on the machine.

I tried something yesterday--results still out.  I noticed (with
/usr/etc/pstat -T) that inodes used were at or near maximum when
v.digit failed.  I rebuilt the kernel, increasing MAXUSERS from 16 to
32, which raised my available inodes from 394 to 666.  I hope this
works, but no one's been on the machine yet to tell me.  Sorry to be
so vague, but I feel like I'm shadow boxing with the lights out on
this one.

Hal Mueller			"Senator, you're no Paul Tsongas."
hmueller at orca.tamu.edu