uudecode.help is now available from lists

Rob Knauerhase rob at zorro.cecer.army.mil
Mon Feb 17 14:11:29 EST 1992

Greetings all:

    I was wading through old logfiles that the list software keeps and
noticed that a couple people had obtained the file "uuencode.help" from the
list manager.  Until today, this was just a placeholder file that said "This
will be a helpfile for uu[en,de]code."

    Well, I just updated it.  If you are interested in how to uudecode files
the server sends you, you can send a "GET uudecode.help" message to either
grassu-request at amber.cecer.army.mil or grassp-request at amber.cecer.army.mil
and obtain the new file.

    For those who might not know what all this is about, electronic mail
may pass through many gateways before reaching a destination.  Some of these
gateways (even today) will alter binary data that passes through (in our
case, "compressed" files such as Arc-1-92.Z and so on).  So, to avoid this
problem, the server "uuencodes" files into a format that's safe to mail.
You then have to combine and decode the file at your end to be sure to get
the exact file the server sent.

    If you don't care about any of this, disregard all the above. :)

Rob [lists-owner at amber.cecer.army.mil]
--
Rob Knauerhase
rob at amber.cecer.army.mil Construction Engineering Research Lab, Corps of Eng.