GRASS 4.0 on Silicon Graphics

Peter Halls PJH1 at VAXA.YORK.AC.UK
Tue Jun 16 09:39:00 EDT 1992

GRASS version 4.0

I am having some problems with VASK on Silicon Graphics platforms.

Specifically, V_call appears to get into a loop with curses, generating no
output, receiving no input and the process having to be externally killed.
CPU time is accumulated at the rate of a few seconds each minute.

The problem has been first seen when edit_cellhd was invoked from mke_loc,
and appears to be common to IRIX 3 and IRIX 4 on Power Series and Indigo
machines.

Attempting to narrow the problem down suggests that, in V_call, everything
down to the getyx call, just after the first refresh, is called and returns
but the getyx does not return - and nothing has been displayed upon the
screen!

The problem has been displayed on X-terminals and VT series terminals
connected to the Power Series over LAT & TCP and on the workstation screen
of an Indigo.  We have no 'direct' asynchronous ports.

I could happily believe that we have managed to set something up here that
has interfered with GRASS - but at present cannot imagine what!

Can anyone suggest what we may have done wrong?  (We had minimal trouble
compiling GRASS).

Many thanks, in anticipation,

Peter Halls
Computing Service,