graphics drivers for Irises, grass 4.0

Alan Grant Finlay alanf at bruce.cs.monash.edu.au
Thu May 28 23:03:31 EDT 1992

We are using several "IRIS" graphics drivers described as follows in
the $GIS/etc/monitorcap file:

iris1:driver/IRIS:Silicon Graphics IRIS Workstation: \
     /u/cipag0/grass/sgi/dev/fifo.15a /u/cipag0/grass/sgi/dev/fifo.15b \
     ::any terminal
iris2:driver/IRIS:Silicon Graphics IRIS Workstation: \
     /u/cipag0/grass/sgi/dev/fifo.16a /u/cipag0/grass/sgi/dev/fifo.16b \
     ::any terminal
iris3: ... etc

We find it annoying that the windows put up by NeWS are all labelled
"GRASS graphics" and it is easy to get them mixed up (i.e. write to the
wrong window by doing an incorrect d.mon select).

Has anyone tried labelling windows independently: "GRASS graphics iris1",
"GRASS graphics iris2", etc?

It appears I could write a separate version of the driver IRIS for
each window number by modifying $GIS/src/display/devices/IRIS/Graph_Set.c
which contains the line:

if (0 > winopen ("GRASS Graphics Window"))

but this seems a bit clumsy.