Shorter command names

Lars Schylberg larss at fmi.kth.se
Wed Jun 30 17:50:08 EDT 1993

> mccauley at ecn.purdue.eduwrites on Wed Jun 30 17:14:58 1993
>
> > (btw, does anyone else think that "g.manual" a little long for a
> > command name? :-)
> >
> > --Darrell
> >

> Not just too long, I like g.man better because it sounds unix. A lot of
> students I teach are novices to GRASS and UNIX. I think they learn faster
> if things are more consistent. So how about g.rm, g.cp instead of
> g.remove, g.copy, etc.? It would really be great if the horrible
> ``option=name1,name2'' command line arguments would replaced for
> unix syntax.
>
> Raymond Venneker - Inst. of Earth Sc., Free University Amsterdam

Well I completely agree to this. But we allways have the old alias
command that we could use.  I have include a couple of lines i our
$GISBASE/etc/GIS.sh file( inlcuded below ). This allows every grass
user to set up their personal short names. Her is what I have in
my .aliases file concerning Grass

alias  r.list           'g.list type=rast'
alias  r.ls             'g.list type=rast'
alias  v.list           'g.list type=vect'
alias  v.ls             'g.list type=vect'
alias  g.rm             'g.remove'
alias  g.cp             'g.copy'

Well maybe this could be standardized in some way so that is looks
the same everywhere. Or atleast have the same ideas behind.  I guess
the old names have to be kept for backward compatibility.

Lars

Lars Schylberg                          Email: larss at fmi.kth.se
Dept. of Geodesy and Photogrammetry
Royal Institute of Technology (KTH)     Tel.   +46 8 790 86 33
S-100 44  STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN             Fax.   +46 8 790 66 10

****** part of our GIS.sh file  ***********

# this line with rm alias added by Lars S. 930513 since most people
# have it this way
    echo "alias rm 'rm -i'" >> $cshrc
#
# Added by Lars Schylberg, 930513 to bring all aliases into the GRASS shell
#
    if [ -r $home/.aliases ]
    then
	cat $home/.aliases >> $cshrc