GRASS4.1 and rsh commands

Malcolm Williamson malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Fri Sep 17 15:14:26 EDT 1993

> For a variety of reasons, we have been calling GRASS4.0 executables via remote
> shell commands. This strategy works well for any routine which can be fully
> specified through command-line arguments, but breaks down when more interaction
> is required, eg, d.3d, d.where, d.what, etc. We can live with that. My question
> is whether we can expect to keep doing this if we move to release 4.1, ie, are
> the graphics and the executables sufficiently decoupled?
>
> --
> Conn V Copas
> Loughborough University of Technology          tel : +44 (0)509 222689
> Computer-Human Interaction Research Centre     fax : +44 (0)509 610815
> Leicestershire  LE11 3TU              e-mail - (Janet):C.V.Copas at uk.ac.lut
> G Britain                                      (Internet):C.V.Copas at lut.ac.uk

Unless you are specifically contemplating the use of XGRASS (which is really
outside of GRASS4.1), you should find GRASS4.1 entirely backwardly compatible`
with GRASS4.0. It is really a set of improvements and additions to 4.0.

--
Malcolm D. Williamson - Research Assistant       E-mail: malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Center for Advanced Spatial Technologies      Telephone: (501) 575-6159