Invitation to join gnuplot-developers@yggdrasil.com

Adam J. Richter adam at yggdrasil.com
Tue Feb 1 22:54:00 EST 1994

COMPONENT:     gnuplot
SOURCES:       usr/src/usr.bin/gnuplot-3.5
CONTRIBUTOR:   grassp-list at moon.cecer.army.mil
               gnuplot-developers at yggdrasil.com
               gnuplot-questions at yggdrasil.com
	       gnuplot-answers at yggdrasil.com
MAILING LIST LOGS (available by anonymous FTP):
               yggdrasil.com:pub/mailing-lists/answers/gnuplot
               yggdrasil.com:pub/mailing-lists/bugs/gnuplot
               yggdrasil.com:pub/mailing-lists/developers/gnuplot
               yggdrasil.com:pub/mailing-lists/questions/gnuplot

Dear Free Software Developer:

	To improve communications in the free software community,
Yggdrasil Computing has created 1,396 automated mailing lists on
yggdrasil.com for 349 free software components.  This free service
should produce the following benefits:

	1. Developers can spend less time maintaining mailing lists.
	2. Repetitive questions will be reduced because the logs of
	   these mailing lists will be available from yggdrasil.com.
	3. Bugs will be reported more quickly, because users won't have
	   to do as much research to determine where to send bug reports.
	4. Potential contributors will be able to reach other free
	   software developers more easily.

	We have created separate "-bugs", "-developers", "-questions"
and "-answers" mailing lists so that you can choose which types of
email that you're interested in receiving or route these lists to
different folders.  You have not been added to these lists.  To add
yourself to any of these mailing lists, just copy the following commands
into a shell window:

echo subscribe gnuplot-answers grassp-list at moon.cecer.army.mil | mail listserv at yggdrasil.com
echo subscribe gnuplot-bugs grassp-list at moon.cecer.army.mil | mail listserv at yggdrasil.com
echo subscribe gnuplot-developers grassp-list at moon.cecer.army.mil | mail listserv at yggdrasil.com
echo subscribe gnuplot-questions grassp-list at moon.cecer.army.mil | mail listserv at yggdrasil.com

	If you answer a question about gnuplot, please cc your answer
to gnuplot-answers at yggdrasil.com.  Like the other mailing lists,
the "-answers" mailing lists will be logged in anonymously FTPable files
that users will be able to check to avoid asking questions that other
users have already answered.  All of the mailing lists are logged in
anonymous FTPable files, but the "-answers" mailing list log will
presumably be the most useful.

	Do not be alarmed if you receive many copies of this message.
That just means that you have been invited to join a number of mailing
lists, most of which will probably have very little traffic.

        You can add or delete any email address that you like
to and from these lists.  If the function of one of these mailing lists
is already duplicated elsewhere, then please replace the contents
of our mailing list with the email address of the other mailing list.
We are not trying to create competing mailing lists, but do want to
make sure that mail that is sent to foo-{developers,bugs,questions}
at yggdrasil.com is routed to the correct people, so please make
sure that these mailing lists do the right thing.

	We are interested in expanding this service in the future.  We
invite the developers of other free software packages to contact us
with package names and lists of developers' email addresses so that we
can set up additional mail aliases'.  We are only interested in
setting up mailing lists for software that is free in at least the GNU
sense.  In the future, we would like to implement a bug tracking
database accessible through telnet and perhaps also with an X-windows
interface.  Some sort of connection to source trees and regression
testing would be nice too.  Perhaps some sort of tie-in to usenet news
instead of or in addition to email would be helpful.  If you have
other ideas for automated free services that would add useful
infrastructure to the free software community, please let us know,
especially if you are volunteering to implement them.

	For those of you who have diligently waded through this email
message, we at Yggdrasil would like to thank you for your contribution
to gnuplot.  If you are an author of gnuplot, we would like
to offer you a free copy of our product, LGX, a plug-and-play
Linux-based operating system comprised entirely of free software.  For
more information on our free copy offer, FTP the file
pub/for-contributors/free-copy-offer from ftp.yggdrasil.com.

	If you do not qualify as an author of the free software in
LGX, you may be able to get a free copy by actively helping with the
"-questions" mailing lists.  When the Winter 1994 release comes out,
we will randomly select 100 of the messages logged in the "-answers"
mailing lists, and offer each of the authors of those messages a free
copy.  We reserve the right to disqualify any messages that are not
answers to real users' questions.

	Happy Hacking!

Adam J. Richter
Yggdrasil Computing, Incorporated

P.S. The initial list that this message has been mailed to was generated
by scanning the source trees listed at the top of this message in the
SOURCES field.  Please invite anybody who wants to join one of these mailing
lists to do so by sending mail to listserv at yggdrasil.com with the line
"subscribe <mailing-list>" in the body.  Here is a list of who has already
been contacted:
BITFTP at pucc.princeton.edu
David.Kotz at Dartmouth.edu
EMAIL=bug-gnuplot at dartmouth.edu