ALTEK DIGITIZER DRIVER

Malcolm Williamson malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Thu Feb 3 09:56:26 EST 1994

> In article <199402022132.NAA13465 at nic.cerf.net> you write:
> >
> >Hi there,
> >
> >	I am wondering if anyone use ALTEK DIGITIZER with AC31 controller on
> >GRASS4.1. I got the problem to let this beast communicate well with v.digit.
> >	I checked the hardware connection and it's okay. The configuration
> >file under $GISBASE/etc/digitizers that I used is al30f8_16. I talked with
> >
> >       	Thank you in advance.
> >
> >				PK Lin
> >				E-mail: pklin at cerf.net
> >				Tel:(617)942-1655
>
> PK -- We have the same setup, running GRASS4.1 on a SPARCclassic with
> Solaris 2.2:  and no v.digit.  We have had to keep an old workstation
> (SUN 386i) active runnig GRASS4.0 & SunOS 4.0.2 in order to run the
> digitizer.  This subject was brought up before on the lists, but never
> resolved.  I'm not sure if it is a SOLARIS 2.x problem or a GRASS 4.1
> problem.
>
> v.digit runs like a DOG in "no digitizer" mode, something to do with
> the fifo's and SOLARIS, I've been told.  Does your v.digit run without
> the digitizer?
>
> Also, I think v.digit was changed in GRASS4.1, and there is a "v.digit2" or
> "v.digit.old" code around which is the GRASS4.0 v.digit -- can anyone
> shed some light on this?  Has ANYONE got an ALTEK AC31 running WELL on
> GRASS4.1?
>

> Ronald Thomas                                ront at meeker.cfnr.colostate.edu

We run GRASS4.1 on SunOS4.1.3 on IPC's, IPX's Sparc 1+'s, Sun 690, etc.
The following settings on our Altek AC31 controller work fine with v.digit
(v.digit2 is the 4.0 version):

>     S1    S2    S3     S4
>    0 1   0 1   0 1    0 1
> 1  x     x       x      x
> 2  x     x     x        x
> 3  x     x       x      x
> 4  x     x       x    x
> 5  x       x     x    x
> 6    x   x     x      x
> 7  x     x     x        x
> 8  x     x     x        x
>

> We are using the al30f8_16 digitizer driver in our digcap file.
> This setup works for us on a Sun IPC and a Sun Sparc 1+. Good luck!

Why am I dreading the switch to Solaris 2.x ?!!

--
Malcolm D. Williamson - Research Assistant       E-mail: malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Center for Advanced Spatial Technologies      Telephone: (501) 575-6159