GRASS Transportability ?

Jim S Mochel jmochel at world.std.com
Wed Jan 12 09:05:22 EST 1994

Hi there,
   I am in the midst of tracking down some code for some
terrain modeling. I keep bumping into GRASS as the "ultimate answer" BUT
my needs tend to center around a portable set of code for several platforms.

My understanding is that GRASS is designed to work only on Medium-Iron, i.e.
UNIX workstations and uses MOtif and XLib calls.

Some quick questions:

[1] What flavor of C is GRASS written in ? ANSI or K&R ?
[2] Are the display calls suffieciently isolated that a port to another
display system would be manageable ?
[3] Has anyone tried compiling GRASS using a C++ Compiler.

Thanks,

     Jim Mochel
      jmochel at world.std.com

PS:
    If GRASS is not suitable I would love to hear any alternative
solutions people want to suggest.... :-)