GRASS Transportability ?

Martin Ameskamp ma at informatik.uni-kiel.d400.de
Wed Jan 12 09:46:21 EST 1994

> Hi there,
>    I am in the midst of tracking down some code for some
> terrain modeling. I keep bumping into GRASS as the "ultimate answer" BUT
> my needs tend to center around a portable set of code for several platforms.
>
> My understanding is that GRASS is designed to work only on Medium-Iron, i.e.
> UNIX workstations and uses MOtif and XLib calls.
>
> Some quick questions:
>
> [1] What flavor of C is GRASS written in ? ANSI or K&R ?

	K&R, I'd say.

> [2] Are the display calls suffieciently isolated that a port to another
> display system would be manageable ?

	Very much so. It took me half a day (being completely new to GRASS)
	to make a port to Apollo GPR (well, I didn't test it a lot,
	but d.rast and d.vect worked just fine...)

> [3] Has anyone tried compiling GRASS using a C++ Compiler.

	Yes and no. I use GRASS libraries from C++, but there doesn't
	seem to be much point in compiling pure C code with a C++ compiler
	(new reserved words and such like).
	You need function prototypes for using GRASS functions from C++,
	these can be generated/extracted fairly efficiently using the
	GNU protoize tool together with good old vi.
	I've done this for most of the libraries, let me know if you want them.

	Martin

--
Martin Ameskamp, Inst. f. Informatik I (Computing Dept.)
Kiel University, Olshausenstr. 40, 24118 Kiel, Germany
email: ma at informatik.uni-kiel.d400.de